The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in collaboration with the University of Washington (UW) and University of Nairobi (UoN) are in the process of conducting a research project evaluating PMTCT services and maternal and child health at multiple sites in Kenya.
The KEMRI/UW/UoN study project therefore seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative and experienced persons to fill the following positions:
1. Study Regional Coordinators
1. Study Regional Coordinators
The Regional Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of all project activities within their regions to ensure smooth implementation of the study.
She/he will manage project activities on a day-to day basis, including preparation of communications with and preparation of the Health Facilities for the field staff, coordinate field work activities including making orders, reception and distribution of supplies to the study teams in their regions, and oversee the collection of study data whilst ensuring that these research processes adhere to regulatory requirements.
The regional coordinator will generate daily/weekly reports on the progress of the study in their regions, give technical advice to both his/her supervisee/supervisor and should be able to manage and supervise study field staff.
S/he should be able to work in fast paced environments with minimal supervision and be a team player
Qualification, Experience & Skills Required:
- Registered Nurse/Higher Diploma in Nursing/Degree in Nursing or equivalent relevant qualification with study coordination experience in a clinical research setting.
- Have background experience with PMTCT activities
- Computer literate
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Will act as point person for the Study in their regions
- Oversee study implementation in their regions including coordinating supplies, movement of the field teams in their regions, and supervision of the other staff
- Scheduling and managing all staff members at various study sites in their regions
- Maintain strong relationship with study clinical sites and stakeholders involved in the study in their regions
- Prepare reports related to the study at Study Coordinator or Investigators request
- Ensure smooth and efficient study enrollment
- Ensure that participant charts and specimens are conveyed as required by the protocol between clinic site, laboratory and data office
- Make weekly reports on the administration of the study
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Study Coordinator or Investigators
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations in the conduct of the study
2. Study Nurses
The Study Nurse shall report to the Regional/Study Coordinator. S/he shall be expected to work under minimum supervision and provide guidance to other study staff under him/her.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills Required:
- KECHN/KRN or Equivalent Qualification
- Certificate in Counseling
- Medical research experience
- Experience in PMTCT work
- Computer literate with data entry experience
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ready to work under pressure
- Be a team player and able to work with minimal supervision
- Recruit and enroll participants into the study by explaining purpose, goals and procedures of study to potential participants and consenting those who are eligible
- Ensure participants charts are duly filled and relevant lab specimens are collected and conveyed as appropriate between the study sites and designated labs/offices
- Maintain proper communication between clinic and Study Coordinator’s office
- Maintain adequate supplies at the study sites for example study forms
- Maintain inventory of supplies with the support of the study assistant
- Give referral for continued counseling and psychological support to study participants as necessary
- Submit daily summary of study progress to the Regional Coordinators and suggestions on any improvements to the study procedures as appropriate
- Ensure strict compliance with ethical requirements for conduct of research
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Regional/Study Coordinator
3. Laboratory Technician / Technologist
The Study Assistant will participate in data collection and provide technical support to study nurse in the collection, processing, packaging and shipment of Laboratory specimens as outlined in the SOPs.
S/he will be reporting to the Study Nurse/Regional/Study Coordinator and should be ready to carry out other duties as delegated by the Study Nurse/Study Coordinator.
Required Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Certificate or Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologist Board
- Knowledge and understanding of GCLPs and regulatory/accreditation agency requirements
- Knowledge of laboratory Health and Safety practices
- Should be computer literate
- At least one year experience working in a laboratory especially doing phlebotomy
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work under minimal supervision
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in counseling in HIV will be an added advantage.
Terms of Employment:
The successful candidate will be given initially a 3-month contract as per KEMRI scheme of service.
This may be considered for extension depending on the dates of start and closure of fieldwork.
The successful candidates shall be based in various regions across the country with those from the various regions being given priority.
Compensation is negotiable but within a relevant grade, based on educational level, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales.
If you meet the above requirements, please follow the following link to complete the application form:
and then send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by 31st July 2012 at 5.00 p.m.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.